Any excuse to eat chocolate is good enough for me. I made a batch of peppermint bark last week and it didn’t last long and my children veritably BEGGED for more. Even the resident squatter gave it the thumbs up. So in the name of inter-faith teeth-rotting community relations I give you the version of how I created bark addicts for your xmas proceedings and what-have-you. ‘Tis very easy, frighteningly so.
200g white chocolate (make sure it is a high cocoa content)
200g dark chocolate
1 tsp Peppermint extract/oil (muslims make sure the extraction is in oil, not alcohol which many are)
‘Everton’ humbug mints
1. Line a baking tray using one sheet of tinfoil – I used two over-lapping and it was a PITA unpicking it afterward.
2. Using a double boiler – a pan of boiling water with another pan on top – melt half the white chocolate. We just microwaved it and no great schism appeared in the space-time continuum so feel free to make life easy for yourself and microwave it till runny.
3. Pour and smooth over the baking tray.
4. Smash you humbugs with a hammer and cover the white chocolate. Or smash in advance and sprinkle when chocolate is still melted. Don’t be mean, add a lot.
5. Put the tray in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
6. After half an hour melt the whole of the dark chocolate, adding the 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil in.
7. Remove the tray from fridge and pour the dark pepperminty chocolate over the first, white layer, spreading evenly.
8. Place in fridge for another half hour.
9. After half an hour melt the remaining half over white chocolate and spread over the two layered slab, adding yet more shattered humbugs all over the top. Place in fridge for an hour or two to really firm up.
10. Remove from fridge and peel off tinfoil. Cut the slab into three horizontal rectangles, then vertically into squares then again into triangles. I halved these triangles further to make smaller bite sized bits. Place in a glass jar and leave in fridge for when you want them. They’re nicer the crunchier they are.
And there you go. Another reason to eat chocolate. I will be placing this on the tutorial page at some point. Share with friends and be merry.